31 Dec 2013 § Leave a comment
For posterity’s sake.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Stepped out of my comfort zone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I rarely make new year’s resolutions – mainly to avoid the failure of not keeping them! I didn’t make any for 2013, and no, I don’t think I’ll attempt any for 2014 either.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Friends, yes, but not my close friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I’m so grateful that the answer to this is ‘no’!
5. What countries did you visit?
Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore…good times!
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 11th – the day I joined a new company and that was in a way, a turning point in many aspects of my life. Nov 20th – the day I got my first tattoo.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning to speak my mind, ’twas a long road to reach this point.
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A Samsung Note 3, of all things!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My daughter – she has grown and matured so much in the past 12 months.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The ex. Appalled, mostly.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Holidays and on my daughter.
15. What did you get really excited about?
The purchase of a new place which I will be moving into very soon!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
So many it’s impossible to pick one! Terserah and Akhir Cerita Cinta by Glenn Fredly, Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke. All three have been on serious rotation in my playlist.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– Happier or sadder? Happier – I feel an inner peace that I didn’t have the last couple of years.
– Thinner or fatter? Thinner, however I attribute this to poorer eating habits.
– Richer or poorer? Poorer. Ah, traveling, thou art evil. Evil!!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spoke my mind when it mattered most. Cooked and baked more. Read more (my reading habits took a sharp dip in 2013). I would say travel more but that would just contradict #19.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Looking at my bank account now, would it be ironic to say traveling? Sigh.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I was in Singapore with my daughter in the morning, flew back to Malaysia in the afternoon and crashed out, dead to the world in bed at night.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Scandal. Think Grey’s Anatomy in the White House.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, hate is too strong a word. Intensely dislike, yes.
24. What was the best book you read?
Predatory Thinking by Dave Trott.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing in particular. My taste in music has always been very mainstream.
26. What did you want and get?
Closure, in more ways than one.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
A toss-up between Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Thor. Both watched in TGV’s IMAX theater which has since spoilt movies in normal cinemas for me.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Had lunch with my team, dinner with my daughter, and drinks with the boys. I turned 35 this year (mutters ‘age is just a number’!)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Pencil skirts, tight dresses, sky high heels. Corporate corporate corporate.
32. What kept you sane?
My girl and unexpectedly, work.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
To be honest, none.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Isn’t it the same ‘ol same ‘ol when it comes to Malaysian politics?
35. Who did you miss?
2013 was the year I caught up with old and good friends. Glad to say, none.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Not someone new, but someone who unexpectedly challenged me intellectually. Damn it but brains are sexy. Case in point: Sherlock.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Move on, move out, move up.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
An excerpt that describes the better half of 2013 for me:
“Doing whatever we want
This is our house
This is our rules
And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
Can’t you see it’s we who own the night?”